August 27, 2008

Road Trip | 7

The view from the Penthouse at Scottish Rite
We watched some Abbot + Costello and a Deanna Durbin film after having some amazing Iowa sweet corn for dinner.
Grandma showed me the ReSale room she'd recently opened up. Despite being open about 30 minutes a week, the place managed to bring in about $600 in a month. Not bad!
We cleaned out the Penniman's sale down the road and stocked the ReSale room in the morning.
We had an amazing time at the Des Moines Art Center, and coincidentally one of my coworkers at WAM had just been there last month. The building is very modern, and makes you feel like you just got out of a Groepius class at Bauhaus.
The collection was impressive, almost nothing before 1920 [at least on display at the time]. There were works by Matisse, Jeff Koons, Kiki Smith, Philip Guston, Andy Warhol and lots of others I can't recall at the moment.
My grandparents never cease to amaze with their level of haute coolness.

This was scrawled in the ladies' room of a restaurant.

Really captures the struggle of the environmental purists, eh?

*******************
In other news, my girlie half of HebsandFish.com has gotten a spiffy makeover.
I'll be photographing more of my 100 Portraits Project and sketches from the Iowa trip to post very shortly as well as a commissioned painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment