November 22, 2009

Smashing Pumpkins poster

Final Artwork for Poppies & Pomegranates



Prints available for purchase at SPACE 242 Boston, MA
ROCK EXTRAVAGANZA show // Dec.4th

The prints have been made and are at the gallery! 

They are in limited release, only 3 of each poster are made - then they are gone!


....................................................................................................

some movie blathering
Andy really got me into old movies - which lead me to the ever-amazing Barbara Stanwyck and Marion Davies.  Interestingly enough, they are both similar people - tough and confident, but effortlessly funny and quick.

Stanwyck came from a poor family in Brooklyn, her mother murdered by a drunken man on a street car, her father disappeared while working on the Panama Canal.  Orphaned at 14, she went hoofing it B pictures and piano bars until being discovered in the 20's.  By 1946 she was the highest paid woman in America, but sadly I don't think many people now know how wonderful she was. ♥ Excellent TCM tribute (5min)

Davies was in a similar situation until falling in love with William Randolph Hearst - one of the most astoundingly wealthy men in the Eastern Hemisphere. (His publication company still publishes many magazines today) Sadly, her marriage was a rocky one - and being made fun of by Orson Welles didn't really help her confidence either. Citizen Kane may be heralded as one of the best movies ever made - but it forever painted her as talentless and whiney. It's a really fascinating story, and worth looking into!
Marion Davies film montage (2min)



.....................................................................................................

  These movies are something we both love together, so we're having some Inkspots love songs play at the reception as well. (Which won't be ruined for me because some post-apocalyptic RP shooter game may have used the same songs in their ads....)

ANYWAY

I bring all this up since I've been researching 40s fashion for my current project - a fantastic 96 page graphic novel I'm very excited to be working on. Complete with pirates, ninjas and a 6-year-old Japanese math whiz who wears big headphones and speaks in emoticons - should be pretty awesome.

10 comments:

  1. Your posters rule! And I love the movie blathering. Interesting info I didn't know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! My work is very subdued lately - need to get back to some ca-razy colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My cousin's love The Smashing Pumpkins! Its looks great as always! :)

    I love how people look in old movies! They always look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great posters! When I move out (okayokay, eventually - I'm a bit of a homebody) I'm going to so be ordering prints from you - like loads :D PU HA HA HA HAA!

    Can't wait to see your graphic novel too! I'll so be purchasing that and like, framing every page - RESPECT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the kind words!

    I really should be thinking about setting up inexpensive prints for art-lover's holiday shopping :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's toooo cool!
    i didnt know it was for smashing pumpkins :x
    do u get to meet them?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Smashing Pumpkins print is gorgeous! Can't wait to see what prints you have in store for your holiday sale :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks!

    Unfortunately I won't be meeting them, haha, this show is all about re-imagining a 90s concert poster (so I'm about 15 years too late, haha)

    ReplyDelete