January 5, 2010

How to be an art collector

The internet has no shortage of online marketplaces and web-stores.  Of all the fun stuff I can buy on my computer, art collecting is a passion.  The holidays are past, but I still enjoy giving and receiving art works for the apartment.

While you should definitely check out gallery openings in person ('cause they are majorly fun), if you can't hop in your jet for that opening in Culver City and back again for the after party in Brooklyn - there is le internet.

 \\ Some great sites to find amazing pieces //


    .................GRASSHUT .......................................................................

Grasshut is a progressive Portland, OR gallery that often has super cool stuff in their shop.  If you sign up to the mailing list, you can get in on amazing preview sales - a piece you like can be yours before the show even opens to the public!
I was able to snag a piece from one of my favorite artists - J. Otto Seibold - for a ridiculously low $66.
J. Otto is known for his works Mr. Lunch + Olive the Other Reindeer and too many more things to name.

   ..................ARTYBUZZ ........................................................................
Created by Richard Wilde, Artybuzz.com is a new online community where artists, photographers, illustrators, designers can showcase and sell their artwork.  Artybuzz provides high quality giclee prints, canvas art prints, t shirts and more.  
If you are an artist, consider submitting your work to them - they take no commission and manufacture excellent quality prints on your behalf!

★  .............GALLERY NUCLEUS .............................................................
 If you live in Los Angeles I am jealous of you.  Nucleus hosts lots of amazing shows with excellent topical themes.  They did a Bruce Lee show and everyone in the shop dressed in the famous yellow track suits; they have animation process work from Pixar, video game concept art from Blizzard - anything and everything - they do it!    {I think one of my older art works is still kicking around the web shop.Oh and hi to my friend Lin - Veronica misses her!

  ...............GALLERY 1988  San Fransisco + Los Angeles  ................
A lot of big guns of the contemporary art scene have available works for sale at G1988! 
If your plans don't include dropping $750 on a 4 ft x 7 ft painting of a gigantic happy walnut - that's okay!  They have reasonable prints and other cool things.

.................ROBOPICTO .........................................................................
After curating Pop Euphoria last year (wow, a whole year ago!) Andy and I opened up this awesome mini art market featuring the highlights of the show! 

          Your search = over

Peter Pan: Chapter 8 by Lauren Moyer // $200 free s+h



DIY Anatomy + other prints by Damien Weighill // $45 ea



He-Man BB Gun series by Dark Igloo // $20 ea
 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

There are many reasons to buy art - not the least of which is the uniqueness it adds to your home.  

Even if you buy a print that many people own, your appreciation of the same artwork kind of makes you kindred spirits!  How cool would it be to go into someone's apartment and see you have prints by the same artist!  It's not the same as buying the same sweater or pair of shoes.

 \\ Some of our art collection //


Notorious B.I.G by keenan cassidy



Oh No 4H by j. otto seibold



 This is Awesome by lindsay small






Bug Book by Ansis Purins  (newest addition!)



I got the painting for Andy's birthday, by trading in this recent painting:







More of our collection next time!


6 comments:

  1. woow nice!
    i really really want to collect art
    but right now i make so little money @_@
    also since we might move soon i dont want to have to move a lot of things so...hopefully when i get my own place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel bad b/c my house is... bare... bare of art! Not to my own accord though. The hubby was an art major and for some reason is hell-bent on creating "our" wall art himself yet those oil paints have YET o meet canvas =__=;;

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does a HUGE ASS sticker collection count as "collecting art"? It has to. :D Say YES!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that I think about it, my house barely has any artwork....yeah I could always use some more color in my room. So far, I only have the green wrestler from you on my wall. ^^;;

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha Jen - YES sticker collections count, especially from PEEL magazine

    Thao - I'm so glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list of art sites! I'm always on the lookout for new art and these definitely hit the spot. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete