January 10, 2010

Pentel Brush Pens // Review

I recently picked up two different brush pens by Pentel.  Ah Japan, you geniuses!  Both of them are pretty stellar, but not without little drawbacks.

KC-130 + Nami original sketch
Bit by bit ....

 
 ...................................................................................................................
...................................................................................................................


PENTEL COLOR Brush Pen in Black #101 // $7.50 ...............................................Grade: A-


PROS // This brush gets nice black line, it's very easy to hold, and the tip becomes juicy and saturated with ink.  When working on heavy, textured paper, you can achieve a great dry-brush effect.  The tip is larger than the Pocket brush pen, so to get very thin lines is going to require some practice and finessing.

CONS // It's difficult to get it started upon opening it up, and if you squeeze too hard, ink will either drip or shoot out of the tip sides.  The ink takes stays wet a while and does not dry as dark as the Pocket pen.

on heavy textured paper
.........................................................................................................................
.........................................................................................................................

PENTEL POCKET Pen in Black // $16.50 ...............................................................Grade: A+

PROS // This brush is excellent.  The large tip allows a good varied line, and it comes with two refills, so it should last quite a while.    Allows a thinner line than the CP as well.  The ink goes down smoothly, and dries deep matte black.  The ink dries darker and richer than the Color Pen.   (below the Pocket Pen ink is OVER the Color Pen ink)
CONS // As all brush pens, the tip needs to be taken care of gently, so I wouldn't let my 8 year old cousin go smushing it around. The tip is not as long as the CP, but it is much more sensitive to your hand - meaning even your pulse can be seen moving the line if you're not careful!



Who are these for?
  • If you are an illustrator or graphic novelist, you probably already own one, but if you were on the fence about it - grab them!
  • If you are learning Chinese, Japanese or another calligraphic language, you should try practicing with one of these!  It's easier for a student to use than the traditional ink well/sumi-e brushes.

 In other news...
Today is 01/10/10!  For some reason, it makes me nostalgic for my old zip code in NYC, 10010!  Life is pretty busy lately, although it's hard to contain my excitement about the wedding, even if it is 9 months away.
Ah, the last of Christmas ... 
Andy, me & the guys made this beautiful/ugly Rice Krispie Treat House
 

16 comments:

  1. Your drawings are amazing! I wish I can use those pens for something like drawing. I'll prob. just write/draw randomness!

    AND OMG.. that rice krispe looks delish.. nom nomz nomzz!

    Haha thanks, the cheetah print sheet is actually my blanket. xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh those treatsies looks so yummy!! and i'm no longer and artist (talent died w/the birth of my son) but I see no OOPS in your inking. It could just be me though xD

    ReplyDelete
  3. those pens look awesome, but you amaze me more than they do. you could seriously draw a sinlge straight line and it would be a masterpiece. about that treat.. lol my stomache hurts just looking at all that sugar madness. it's freakin cute though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the pen review. Good inking style by the way, I dig the drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that's a cute drawing =) You are so talented!

    Pocket pen ftw.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your robot drawing is absolutely AMAZING! I love watching you ink - it's like magic! What a treat - thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. is a girl with headphones i seee?!?!?!?
    XD
    p.s. love rice krispy squares in any shape or form!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the pen ratings! I was wondering how good they were. I think I will pick up a couple.

    ReplyDelete
  9. nom nom nom nom nom. I wish I had that rice krispy for breakfast.

    Your drawings are amazzzzing! They're so well done and inked too! *-*

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love pens, but my student budget is not allowing me to indulge in it, especially since I'm not an art student. Instead, I have to save my money buying lab notebooks and other boring stuff. But yeah, I enjoyed your pen reviews very much.

    Yummm....it has been such a long time since I last had rice krispy and right now is a perfect time to eat time. =]

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the kind words!

    Briggs! - I'd love to see what you'd do with one of these!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't resist people who are really gifted with great creativity. It's really nice to know that many people are gifted with this talent.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah I agree I have both you have confirmed what I thought that the pentel has allot more control user friendliness

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really liked this good and best wallpapers. Thanks for sharing these wallpapers. You can find also more nice wallpapers on our websites.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous14.10.12

    what stellar brush strokes! have you tried or thought about refilling either one with other inks? always getting the manufactured cartridge can cost alot.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous2.11.12

    Do these brushes dry out when capped?
    also...is there a leaking problem?

    ReplyDelete