January 20, 2010

Straw Hat + other scribbles

Some figure painting / sketching from this summer //


 


I love getting super colorful with these studies!

These are demonstrations I did for my students during a portfolio-prep painting class at the Worcester Art Museum - to help kids get their stuff together for art school.  You can see the students personalities in how they posed for me.

It's hard to get students to get loose - they like to stay tight and technical.  But I think when you obsess over perfection, the work turns out less realistic - and you end up erasing more than you draw
 .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..

Now, I didn't want to take the dog for two weeks.  I didn't think I was a dog person.  I like cats - they don't smell, they are self-sufficient and demand nothing but litter from me.  But MAN - Allie the Yorkie has melted my cold, cold heart!

Poor Basil, however, is still angry.  He will come into our bedroom at night searching for his usual spot (which is by my knees).  After realizing  it's taken (by Allie) he gets immediately offended and leaves.





Allie the Yorkie - our house guest for two weeks

BOSTON ART SCENESTERS // see my work and new stuff by our cool artist friends at these shows :


"I ... YOU ... WE ... ROBOT" // 242 Group Exhibition

Opening Friday January 29th 6-8pm
 
SPACE 242 @ 242 E. Berkeley St. Boston MA

Please stop by the same night to 


INTERACTIVITY : INTERPASSIVITY  // Kristen Mills + Jessica Hyatt

  Opening Friday January 29th 6-8pm with Artists' Talk 5-6pm

Fort Point AC Gallery @ 300 Summer St, Boston, MA

10 comments:

  1. I love the figure drawings! they are terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww poor Basil! I think he thinks you've replaced him!! D:

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the paintings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty! I totally agree, when you obsess over perfecting something, it won't turn out as good as it could be.

    Allie looks adorable! AND SHE DOESN'T BARK? I need my little bobo to learn how to do that less! LOL.. Awe, your poor Basil!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AWWW many of the students still uptight then? Hopefully they'll break out of it.

    Glad the doggy sitting has gone fairly well!!! You know, despite the sibling (cousin, I dunno) rivalry between Basil & Allie :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woot! I'm so stoked about the Robot Show! My brother got a piece in it as well, and I got the night off for the opening.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the kind words!

    Jen - I keep hearing the Robot show is getting great press - woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are very talented!! The dog is adorable, I love small dogs

    ReplyDelete
  9. i'll be so sad if i had such a cute puppy and i had to let it go after 2 weeks!!!
    and yeah
    perfections DAMN overrated

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww look at the sad student lol!
    and great to hear that your a dog lover now! yes!!

    ReplyDelete