April 17, 2010

Subconscious Shoes

You can tell a lot about a person from what they doodle.

I read in a sociology book that teenagers will usually doodle their names in notebooks over and over. It's meant to be a subconscious way of trying to figure out their identity. One of my SVA teachers, Thomas Woodruff, used to doodle entire alphabets in different fonts while talking on the phone. Andy likes to draw Batman when he is thinking about something, and it seems that I, oh yes, have an obsession with vintage shoes.

When I'm working on comic book pages for Pirates (I know I don't talk about that project as much as I should, but I don't want to give away any spoilers before it's release!) I often get stuck trying to decide on a shot or angle for a particular panel. As I think about it, I'm sketching unrelated stuff on the side.

Here are my doodles while trying to work out other visual problems :




I finally got Photoshop CS3!   
 My clients were starting to think I wound up my computer 
with an alan wrench and/or lived in the digital dark ages

Here are some with a quick color treatment ...
These are all loosely based on : Seychelles, See by Chloe, Marc by Marc Jacobs and 80% 20%

In other news ... 

I was struck by a new Dior advertisement recently, found while walking through Copley.  I'm not really into high-fashion, but I am into old movies, and I was thought I was doing a Lauren Bacall double-take, but instead it was 17 year old Karlie Kloss



Way to go, Dior, going all "To Have and Have Not" on us! (below // Lauren Bacall is 19 here)

Bacall - original cool


Lauren Bacall fell in love with Humphrey Bogart on the set of this movie, and quite literally, you can actually watch two people growing smitten with each other!  Quelle romantique! 

8 comments:

  1. I found a lot of my classmates end up drawing eyes or flowers lol I wonder what that signifies??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren Bacall is so cool, even now. And I love the sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading Lauren Bacall's life story right now and have just finished the chapters about her falling in love with bogie on set!
    I really like your art, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I doodle domo-kun and other wobbly monsters :0 subconsciously thinking about monsters all the time??? D: and those shoes are lovely!! wish i could doodle shoes, how i love them so :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never noticed/notice teenagers doodling their names. Maybe I am too caught up in my own doodling XD

    I love the way you colored those images.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the kind words!

    Yeah Lindsey, I was sad her Twitter account was a fake : (

    ReplyDelete
  7. karlie is such an IT model, and she's only 17!!!! she's landed SOOO MANYYY campaigns. good for her, she's really mysterious looking
    anyways, great drawings
    i have CS, i dont use a lot of hardcore functions so i think i won't be able to tell the diff b/w the diff versions yeah....

    ReplyDelete
  8. btw, i draw calculators! and other electronic devices...

    ReplyDelete