May 20, 2010

Pirates of Mars - Victoria Lovelace

I'm very excited to be drawing ever closer to finishing the first volume of Pirates of Mars this spring.  I thought I'd start posting a series of character designs along with style guides. [OH yes - I know you want to dress like a steam punk airship pirate.  And the internet allows you that anonymity.  I won't judge you.]


In order to keep each page looking consistent - I construct several reference pictures for each character.  When I start inking these 96 pages, it's important to make sure random pieces of clothing or props don't disappear because I forgot to draw them.  
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
We'll start with our super fierce protagonist, Captain Lovelace.  I'm not sure if JJ wrote her to be British, but I pictured her having an English accent with all-around American tom-boy toughness.  When we first see her in the opening scene, she is in full-pirate mode, but with some Equestrian and Hans Solo elements tossed in.
some early sketches


© 2010 JJ Kahrs + Veronica Hebard

Are you excited yet?  I love teaser trailers.

8 comments:

  1. Wow. I get more and more excited for this project every time you release a new image. Can't wait to see the full thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Captain Lovelace sounds so awesome. I can already picture her as being one of my inspirational women O_O

    ReplyDelete
  3. I AM excited! Steampunk is a guilty pleasure of mine. Though I don't seek it out, I'm amused when I stumble upon it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Hold on to something expensive"-Just awesome honestly. Will it be available internationally?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Presumably she might have a touch of the Byronic to her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can't go wrong with pirate girls and eye patches. Can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always want to dress like a steampunk airship pirate. Can't wait to see the graphic novel!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the kind words - I love working on it :)

    ReplyDelete