September 20, 2010

Inspiration - Meiji prints

Getting ready for our trip to Japan has put me in all-Nippon mode, so I wanted to share a book I recently bought from Harvard Booksmith.

Prints of the Meiji Restoration features the most vibrant, saturated, exciting woodblock prints I had ever seen - mostly from the collection of a former Harvard alum who went far, far East to purchase many amazing things for the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston.  (If you haven't been to the MFA - they have one of the greatest Japanese print collections in the US and a philosopher's garden in the back!)


 just right for fall, I think





Have you ever seen Japanese prints with so many Victorian outfits?


We have lots of great ukiyo-e books of contemplative subject matter like flowers and birds, but demons and ghost prints too.  I knew my grandpa was a cool dude when he sent me a print from Japan of a woman holding a possessed baby oni.

11 comments:

  1. very very intersting with the victorian looks...im so used to traditional wear..but these are beautiful, and yes, perfect for fall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! It's so interesting to see the subjects outside of traditional clothing.

    Your grandpa sent you something that cool? Wow. I'm so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saturation indeed!! It's great! I like seeing these prints where you can get a feel of the west seeping in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know it's almost bizarre, right?? but awesome

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool! These are amazing. Amazing that someone could carve this level of detail into a woodblock. I wonder if they had to carve a different block for each color, in which case, holy moly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! Just wanted to pop in to say I LOVE your piece for WW Day. My favorite piece by far, can't wait to attend the event! Adding your blog to my feed :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic woodblock prints!
    Those are just insane - and to think that anyone could sit down and decide to carve the crap out of a solid chunk of wood just to get that sort of perfection is madness!

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. have a safe and fun trip to Japan.....get inspired

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the kind words, Heather! I hope it raises a lot of money for them!

    Thanks DSD34 - oh ho ho will do

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I love that first one so much! It definitely gets me in the mood for fall. Ah, I wanna see the ghost prints!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, what a great find. How beautiful! The colors, the western imprints, the history.

    ReplyDelete