November 15, 2010

Save the Kaiju!

I was asked by our good pals at Kaiju Big Battel to create an illustration for one of their benefit shows this fall.  We were in Japan while it was happening, so we couldn't make it, but it's great to hear the event went well, and the Kaiju have been saved!

this features my favorite, but deceased Kaiju BB member: 
Pablo Plantano (or... is it Pedro?) of the Los Plantanos Hermanos

When I was in college I had heard of "this really cool show where these guys dress up in monster costumes and fight and knock down fake little buildings"  - I was fascinated!!  Sadly, I didn't get to ever attend a show, since my college money was spent on art supplies, sugary-dessert coffees and flu medication.  Who would have thought just a few years later our paths would cross again?

Not only did our paths cross as peers, but we also saw Kaiju Big Battel toys in JapanYes!  It was so cool!  We went to Mandrake in Shibuya (and 4 other of their locations) and couldn't believe our friend's vinyl toys were valuable collectibles overseas.


To get to Mandarake Shibuya you had to descend 5 - FIVE- flights of stairs down in to, quite literally, an otaku cave.  But I found some vintage Sailor Moon toys so it wasn't just an Andy-trip ;)


Andy was so excited, I'd never seen him like that before! He would point to a vintage Godzilla toy and say "Do you SEE that? Do you KNOW what this is worth back in the US?!" And needless to say, we had many monster tails poking out of our suitcases on the ride back to Nagoya.

11 comments:

  1. So cool that you found your friends toys!

    I would be right there with Andy at Mandrake running around "do you see this?!?!!" It may even force me to buy something else to call luggage to put my purchase in. hah ^_^;

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, I wish I would've picked up a sailor moon toy, but I couldn't decide so I just did without lol ._. I did get an L vinyl though ^^

    And I LOVE that poster, it's so cool. You never cease to amaze me with the creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!

    Lindsey - I was surprised that Sailor Moon stuff is just as expensive and collectible as it is here - so I just got a little toy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so cool you guys came upon the stuff even though you couldn't make the show :O

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL @ Andy's reaction. Like a kid in a candy store I bet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vintage Sailor Moon? OMG, so awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just read this stuff- Pablo is the dead one- and you're the best!

    (other) ANDY

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey! Just read this- and I didn't know they were so easy to get in Japan- guess I'd better go. You're the best!
    (other) ANDY

    ReplyDelete