November 17, 2010

Superheroes


I was very happy to be asked to participate in the 5th Annual Wonder Woman Day Art Auction held in Portland, Oregon, October 24th, 2010.  A benefit wherein all proceeds going to domestic violence charities, Wonder Woman Day is a great event. 

Above is the art I donated, and it was so great to find out superstars like Alex Ross, Adam Hughes, and one of my comic artist heroes - P. Craig Russel were also donating work.  Hope it went to a good home!

In Japan, Andy and I came across lots of superhero-related mascots - have you seen Mini Mini Man?


Can you guess what kind of business Mini Mini is?
answer below ...



In our jet-laggy mornings, Andy and I watched a great deal of Japanese TV.  And you know what?  It's kind of insane.  Like, really silly, nonsense.

<<< Look at this kid's show over here, what is this like a dog and a girl live on the moon and all these kids come to visit them? ... on the moon?

Japan is big on needless panel discussions on TV shows, so they discuss a particular story but all pretty much decide to agree "Yes, that story was interesting" less one guy decides "No, that story was not as interesting as I had hoped" and the entire panel is thrown into disarray.

But it greatly helped my Japanese and the understanding of how to listen for different accents and regional slang.  I'd watch non-sense panel shows if I had a cable dish!

We had a great time visiting with family in Nagoya.  Wow - my brother-in-law and sister-in-law now!  Woohoo!

They live in Hirabari, a sweet neighborhood just southeast of Nagoya center.  Seeing their daily lives was so fascinating - like familiar but totally alien, if that makes any sense.

I'll post this week about our 6 days with them - which will always remain such happy memories for us both.


Answer : A realty agency!

5 comments:

  1. Mini Mini Man for Realty!? I.. don't get it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous Wonder Woman piece! Maybe Mini Mini Man specializes in mini-mansions?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job on the Wonder Woman piece. I participated in the auction but was outbid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the Wonder Woman!

    I think the more you travel around the world, the more American you realize you are. At least that's what happened to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to be a strong woman like your above entry! LOL

    ReplyDelete