March 3, 2011

About the death of books and Asian houses


My last post was a bit of a downer, right?  Well never fear, I don't really believe e-readers are the ultimate doom of all book store everywhere, really!
  • if you want a really sweet publication, the writing, photography and print quality will have to be awesome.
  • on the other hand, Japanese manga is printed on the lowest grade paper but usually complied into a huge book with many other continuing stories (like Shonen Jump) and is sold at a ric-dic-u-lously low price (about $3.50 for 200 pages) And they continuously out-sell American comics big time.
  • so fast reads like comics will have to get cheaper and be digitally available, and the slow-reading coffee table books will have to improve the quality to be worth the $.
COMIC BOOK RANT: The problem with America comic books is the ads.  The awful, terrible ads that disrupt the story telling and throw all kinds of junk in your face.  Put them in the back and let people just enjoy.  Who wants to pay $4 for 12 pages of Magic the Gathering ads?

Anyway, so that's my personal take on it.  But I'm always a fan of anything that gets people reading.  Reading (any kind) is so essential to the art of slowing down time

JAPAN STYLE + KOREA STYLE from Tuttle Books


I didn't know anything about Korean style, and am amazed at it's modern, Western qualities.  I love using these books to help with my environment painting and perspective!  Sometimes I sit down to a white piece of paper and think "Oh god, what am I going to draw? Where do I start?" but these really help in choosing a view point or just something interesting to draw.


Also instrumental in slowing down time, chocolate pretzels and Rilakuma!  Al + Tomoko sent us this fabulous Mister Donut 『ミスド』 fukubukuro!  いいね!

アルクンと智子さん、本当に福袋ありがとうございました!感謝しているのよ!

14 comments:

  1. Wah those styles looks so peacefull, and make you want to take a good book, a few blankets, sit down and read. Maybe even snack on some chocolate pretzels :P
    I agree that reading in all forms, slows down the time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOWWW! Those houses are just so beautiful and peaceful, without clutter and distraction. I need me some of that!

    And besides, "reading is sexy".

    ReplyDelete
  3. check this: http://www.whatwedoissecret.org/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like Korean homes are so open spaced and clever with room use but at the same time I only know what I see on Kdramas so I'm sure it's like US TV at times and maybe not accurate LOL

    Ahhh they made little Mister Donut lucky boxes X3~~!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, I'm really interested in reading that korean style book. I don't personally feel like ereaders are going to put print out of business. But this might be because I own one and I still make an effort to buy many hard copies of books. I typically use the ereader to read books I either know are going to not be that good or that I absolutely don't want to buy. However, not everyone is like me and I've never met another person irl who has one so I really couldn't say about how other people are using the technology.

    I read that some school was going to replace textbooks with ereaders and I actually thought that was a good idea because kids have such back problems now from those heavy backpacks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lindsey - ah the backpack problem, ereaders would be a great idea! My art history book in college was literally 60 lbs - dear lord

    ReplyDelete
  7. Homes that mix Asian culture with Western culture always seem to create a nice atmosphere. Even better if the scenery is peacefully green!

    ReplyDelete
  8. yes i definitely agree
    but they should also push ereaders for schools
    because! this way we dont have to carry so many textbooks around..not that I do anymore but yeah ahah

    ReplyDelete
  9. YAY ART, refusing to be pushed by technology since 8BC!! art books are hella expensive tho, and comic books are mad cheap. but i dont wanna look at my comic books on a glarey ipad >:(

    you dont like ads for "spree" in your xmen comics? it is always a fun lol for dated graphic design :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am very happy to after see this post. I really like and I hope you will continue with nice and attractive post. Thanks for the sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am very happy to after see this post. I really like and I hope you will continue with nice and attractive post. Thanks for the sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. very beautiful images i love the all images.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm really interested in reading that korean style book. I don't personally feel like ereaders are going to put print out of business.......

    ReplyDelete
  14. I feel like Korean homes are so open spaced and clever with room use but at the same time I only know what I see on Kdramas ........

    ReplyDelete