June 30, 2011

Mulholland Drive @ Crazy 4 Cult 5 - Gallery 1988



Mulholland Drive  |  SOLD  |  11"x14" gouache on cold press paper

I was so excited Gallery 1988 LA asked me back to make a new piece for their annual "Crazy 4 Cult" show, now in it's 5th incarnation.

After thinking it over and watching lots of Lynch movies, I was super inspired by "Mulholland Drive."  [Here is a fantastic analysis of it.]

Finally, Lynch's freeform, bat-shit-insane storytelling had a place to actually make sense. Mulholland Drive is a really great movie - and actually shows off Naomi Watt's acting chops.

Honestly, I don't enjoy Lynch movies.  I can't.  This is the exception, I think.  And the theme song is good.

...................................................


Grandpa, if you're reading this -

DO NOT SHOW DAVID LYNCH MOVIES at SENIOR MOVIE DAY

Just forget I mentioned it.



8 comments:

  1. I haven't seen any of Lynch's movies, but I'm thinking about watching some of the better ones eventually, as I liked what I watched of Twin Peaks (the first season, haven't seen the second). And even though I don't know much about the context, I do like your piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cut it out!! okay- I'm currently re-watching all of the twin peaks, taking a little online break --click over to your blog...before i even scrolled down i say to my self, "wow that reminds me of Mulholland Drive!" stop looking inside my brain Veronica-it's kind of an invasion of privacy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to check out Twin Peaks the show! The movie was just ... beyond me?

    ReplyDelete
  4. have not seen that one yet, but that painting is just ARGHHH!! amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen this movie so MANY times. I had a friend obsessed with it & he'd make me watch it over & over then analyze every detail LOL At least it's not as F'ed up as Blue Velvet *scarred for life*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't get over how beautiful that Mulholland Drive painting is! Would you ever consider doing a tutorial on gouache painting?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks guys!

    Jenny - you had to watch it over and over??! Wow, that would mess me up

    Paige - thanks for the idea, I will try and get a gouache workshop going at the Worcester Art Museum! I've never made a video before?? hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous13.3.12

    Splendida la colonna sonora di Badalamenti che accompagna i tristi accadimenti che si dipanano lungo l'intricata trama di Mulholland Drive.

    Lorenzo

    ReplyDelete