January 21, 2012

Mowgli Surfwear

Hey friends,

I recently did some work for Mowgli Surf, a clothing company based in California.  They have a real love of hand-crafted illustration, and it gives their line a really unique aesthetic.

The color versions below are color versions for my portfolio, but the actual tee shirt will most likely be black ink over a color shirt.



I did a number of little sketches.  Never having surfed in my life, nor even seen clear blue water before, I decided just to get a whole bunch of ideas out of my head based on videos of Australian surfers, and let the art director decide.

When working with clients, I try not to worry about if what I'm drawing is something they'll hate.  It's better to show them the ideas kicking around your head and let them tell you if it's working or not.  You could potentially be shutting down an idea they may really like.




If you live in California, check out their stock!  I'm nuts over their blue polka dot sweat shirt ~

5 comments:

  1. That's a really good advice about giving options to the client to let them know about what potential ideas are available. ~ I absolutely love the sketch of the surfer with all the animals on top of him!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thats awesome! Personally, I like the last sketch you did :D
    And I agree, that is some good advice. I tend to always over-think things and try to perfect every detail before I even send in a draft.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much guys! I like the animal-pile-up too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! I would be the worst client bc I love them all. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my god the catwoman one...i wanna surf now

    ReplyDelete