March 2, 2012

The Hunger Games for Boston Phoenix

Hey friends,

I did the cover for this week's Boston Phoenix, and it was a really great project.

Everybody keeps telling me how great the book "The Hunger Games" is, so I'll definitely have a read this summer.  And girls with deadly bow and arrow skillz are always a plus.


original digital prelim


Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss

Brought her Entertainment Weekly pic into Photoshop, desaturated and upped the contrast to see where her tones are.  Better for me to get a likeness that way.


Printed out the approved sketch, inked it directly on the lightbox, and colored in Photoshop.  Below are some different color options.


7 comments:

  1. Aw man, your stuff is so cool -- great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a really cool project! Lucky you who got to do a cover about Hunger Games :D I've also heard lots about HG being amazing but I still haven't been able to read it, however it seems like a good female character so I'm positive haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Unfortunately I'm a very SLOW reader, it takes me a long time to finish a book, my shelf is so backed up!

      Delete
  3. This is so sweet, and she looks super fierce! I'm loving all your work~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous!!! I LOOOVE the way you color! skillllzzz

    ReplyDelete