April 18, 2012

When someone special dies

So this is actually a Frankenstein update, believe it or not

Some people have been asking me 

"Hey, Frankenstein was supposed to be out Winter 2012, - any news?"

and to that I say 

"Thank you for being incredibly patient, 
but now it's going to be summer."

.............................................................

The entire first volume of Frankenstein was completed this Fall/Winter during my artist residency at Eagle Hill.  Working at an insane rate of 3 pages per day, I was able to complete the full 104 pages of volume 1 in great time.

And then Antoine passed away.

While working on my own project, the artist residency tied into teaching a storytelling/comic class a few times a week with a small group of students.

All of whom became near and dear to me.

Three days a week we met, talked technique and story ideas, and they were more than generous with their kind words of my personal work.  Especially Antoine.

"I'll be the first one to buy it when it comes out, Veronica"

Extraordinarily attentive and exacting, he jotted down everything I suggested to him - artists, fonts, compositional ideas.  We exchanged books like Asterix, discussed Moebius, (Antoine is also French) and how exactly to pronounce "Gotye".

I had just finished writing a recommendation letter for him when we got the call that he had died.

Suddenly, I couldn't look at Frankenstein pages anymore.  I could only hear:

"Salut, es-tu occupé?  Do you need to use this book for reference?"

I couldn't even go into my studio.  I'd see the pages on my desk and think "What's the point?"

When someone you have a connection with is suddenly gone, you try to rationalize why.  But you can't.  You can't waste your life away living in sadness.


You can't let sadness overtake you

What happened has happened, affected people much closer to him than I, and we have to stay strong for the family.

.............................................................

It took a long time, and the support of many wonderful people, the sadness has past, and now it's time to finish what was started.

So thank you all for being incredibly patient, but happily the first volume is in the capable hands of my editor - getting ready for the final prep and printing this summer. 
.............................................................


7 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm so sorry for your loss! Postponing for that is very understandable. None-the-less, I will wait patiently for it's release!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you lost someone that was so important to you. I hope you can find a way for it to empower you some day rather than hinder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the kind words, guys :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heartfelt condolences. Wishing you comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I'm so sorry Veronica. You're so wise though. And your work is so incredibly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. we will all be the first to buy it in honor of your friend.

    ReplyDelete