June 12, 2012

On Birthdays and The fear of growing old


So today I'm 27!  Woo!

The peonies in the garden have blossomed!  

I've been picking them all week, since their life span is so short 
- they fill the house with their perfume.


I've decided pretty steadfastly that I'll never be one of those people that makes sarcastic remarks about how awful it is to get old.

If you can't stop getting older why be afraid of the process?

That used to drive me crazy when women would say "Oh I don't celebrate my birthday anymore - nothing to celebrate when you're a dinosaur like me!" (This is coming from someone who was 38 at the time) Or "Well that's fine for you, you're young."

I can't understand that kind of rationale.

We don't know how long we're going to live so what is "old" or "young"?

All I know is, just like Dorian Corey says in "Paris is Burning" :

"Everybody wants to make an impression, some mark upon the world. Then you think, you've made a mark on the world if you just get through it, and a few people remember your name. Then you've left a mark. You don't have to bend the whole world. I think it's better to just enjoy it."

 .....................................................

18 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday!!!
    The peonies are beautiful, such a vibrant colour, it's a shame they don't last long.... the transience of life, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ありがとうございます!
      そうですね、人生が短過ぎるね

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday!! You and Andy enjoy the day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really interesting subject--especially reading it from your point of view (i.e. under 30.) I've noticed that my contemporaries (over 70) really freak out when they hit the age their same-sex parent died at. Maybe, if you don't mind, I'll write a blog post about the fear of growing old (in really old folks) and quote you and Dorian Corey--if it's okay with you?? Thanks for the inspiration.

    Meanwhile, Happy Birthday! Do something fun and crazy that you are unlikely to do when you're REALLY old.

    Joan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, Joan I'd love to read your thoughts :)

      and thank you!

      Delete
  4. Congrats, you're so good and so young and definitely and inspiration for me and for my drawings. I can say I appreciate you and your blog! Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You are so kind, thank you :)

      Delete
  5. awww happy birthday darling. Glad you're able to celebrate it with some pretty flowers. ♥ There's definitely no shame in getting older that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

    I think women are afraid of getting old because society/media/whatever always puts the emphasis on youth. I would like it if more women called bullshit on this and stopped acting in such a fatalistic manner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      So true - it's definitely more women than men I think!

      Delete
  7. Happy birthdayyy!!!!!!! Those flowers look absolutely lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday, Veronica!

    I know exactly how you feel regarding age. I'm going to be 27 in October. I really like the quote you shared. It says everything I try to convey about my thoughts on aging and society's push to be excessively ambitious in a couple concise sentences. I just want to live and enjoy my life :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy belated birthday!
    Age is but a number and I never understood why people don't take advantage of the day to celebrate their life when there are so many others that don't get the chance to reach the age that we are. I say be thankful, be happy, and eat cake. hehe
    I hope you had a great day :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Adrienne! Yes! Lots and lots of cake

      Delete