August 14, 2012

How to be a Happy Freelancer: Part 2

Being a Great Boss

Being your own boss is really wonderful, but only if you are being a good boss.

A good boss gets the most of employees, through accountability and encouragement.

You have to be accountable to yourself, and you have to encourage yourself.

You can do it!  

Don't put yourself down, or gloss over your accomplishments!

That means:

1. Look back on everything you accomplished today, be proud of it
2. Actually tell yourself "Hey kiddo, you did a great job."
3. If you didn't do a great job, don't get down, back on track tomorrow
4. Work M-F / 9-5 and don't come in on the weekends

Be honest with yourself:  How hard are you actually working?  If you are sincerely working a solid 8 hour day, no nonsense in between, then be proud of it and keep going.

► If you're doing self-distructive things like worrying, wasting time on purpose, not focusing on your goals, then you have to correct it now.

Remember: the internet will always be there.  You only have about 8 hours a day to really work when you factor everything in.

Imagine how much you can get done in one day if you actually utilized every second productively!  There's nothing you couldn't accomplish!!

Really Being Productive

When I changed my schedule from  work whenever, take lots of breaks and draw into the night, my art suffered.

When I structured my day and was able to stop working at 6pm, I was like "OMG I have ALLLLL this time now to do fun stuff!"  

I got more done 9am - 6pm working with absolutely no distractions - no phone, no net - and had MORE time at night to enjoy NOT working.

  1. If you aren't sure how your day divides up, spend a few days taking samples.
  2. Write down exactly what you do, when you do it, and for how long.
  3. Then assemble the data onto a pie chart and visualize your time.
► You'll notice where your pitfalls are, and how to adjust.



Carpe Diem, right! 


Next time: 
The Loneliness of the Freelance lifestyle

6 comments:

  1. you should make this into a little zine and sell them! SELL THIS INFORMATION

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a marketing whiz! I think I will!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. That pie chart speaks VOLUMES! I'm brand new to freelancing - my 30+ year old company (I was with them for 7 of those) went out of business so I decided to give it a go on my own. It's only been 3 months, but I relate to everything you've written about. Especially your pie chart! You have great advice. I'm a huge time waster - out of fear I think. I'm going to do my very best to get off this internet (see? I'm doing it right now) and get my sh*t done! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. That pie chart speaks VOLUMES! I'm new to freelancing. My 30+ year old company (I was with them for 7 of those) went out of business so I decided to give it a go on my own. I've only been at it for 3 months, but I relate to everything you've said in this series. Especially your pie chart! I'm a huge time waster - mostly out of fear. I keep convincing myself I'm not good enough to do the work. But I HAVE to do the work. But I CAN'T do the work. But I HAVE to... (yeah, that's basically my brain all day). I'm going to seriously try to stay off the damn internet (like now) and get my sh*t done. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks V!

      When you hear the voice "But I CAN'T do the work" - THAT VOICE IS THE LIAR

      You can do the work AND you have to do the work.

      The voice that says you can't IS FEAR - and you can choose to not listen to it!

      Glad to help!

      Delete
  5. Jennifer Dorr22.8.12

    This is very true! I freelance part time but when I do, I ALWAYS record my time. It makes you realize how much time is wasted. It's so much better to do as you said and just WORK then play.

    ReplyDelete