March 21, 2013

Getting back to basics



I realized recently that I haven't drawn for fun in a really long time.
I mean, usually I draw a little bit every day, but I haven't dedicated a good chunk of time to something that wasn't a client project.  It feels weird!

I made a vow that for the entirety of my month in Japan I would draw every day, and ALOT.  I made a sketch book specifically for the project, and limited myself to the 6 tools up there in the clear case.
I can't wait!  

a mish-mash of random papers found in the studio,
stuck together with MT tape.

I don't want to strangle all the fun out of illustration just because it's my job.  Need to stay fresh!  Can't wait to get started!



In other news, I am super sick of putting on my winter coat.

I never want to look at it again.  Ugh.
Please, please stop now winter, it's enough already...



I'm also speaking tonight at the Worcester Art Museum for Youth Art Month, as their professional artist, so kids involved with the show can have a chance to hear about life after art school.  Should be fun!


7 comments:

  1. That's an awesome idea! Looks like the notebook turned out pretty cute too.

    Ugh, it's still winter here too. We got a bit of a spring tease--it was warm and sunny last week, and now it's cold and rainy. I'm not too tired of putting on my coat though (a nice new one that I got at an end of season sale, haha).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I was just thinking, I should just get a new, inexpensive coat every year to keep things from feeling stale!

      Delete
  2. Sea Lemon on Youtube ( http://www.youtube.com/user/SeaLemonDIY ) has some incredible tutorials on bookmaking. If you haven't seen them already I think you'd enjoy them. Her tutorials are pretty great.

    I hope you doing some free drawing while on your vacation helps you out. ♥

    It's so odd hearing about everyone's everlasting winter while here in Texas it was 95 the other day! Talk about opposite experiences haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the great recommendation!

      yes, so jealous of your amazing weather! its finally feeling like spring today, at 42 :D

      Delete
  3. Hey v-ron....I was cleaning out my room going threw old sketch books and such when I found an 09 worcester mag with your comic in it which brought me here! Looks as if your doing well...teaching at wam? I would love to take your class! I was teaching portrait drawing at the recovery learning center but it sort of fizzled and turned into the artist in me and I handed it over to my coworkers who loves anime! Well hope to keep in touch...<3 elyse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Elyse! thanks for the comment!

      I am teaching at WAM, what kind of classes are you interested in? You should drop by!

      Delete
  4. Hey v-ron....I was cleaning out my room going threw old sketch books and such when I found an 09 worcester mag with your comic in it which brought me here! Looks as if your doing well...teaching at wam? I would love to take your class! I was teaching portrait drawing at the recovery learning center but it sort of fizzled and turned into the artist in me and I handed it over to my coworkers who loves anime! Well hope to keep in touch...<3 elyse

    ReplyDelete