Thursday, March 14

How to Pack for One Month in a Carry-On


Let me just say, I love to organize junk.

Why? Because I love logic problems.

Fitting many things into a smaller thing, and depending on how you fold, there is ultimately one solution to yield the maximum amount of stuff you can bring.

Er go, the art of packing.

I'm not leaving for Japan for two more weeks, but because I am OCD about flight preparation, decided to do a trial packing run.

And as suspected, was bringing waaay too much stuff.  Stuff I'd definitely not need while there, and regret taking.

So I thought I'd share:


PACK 28 DAYS in a CARRY-ON

  • bring only the things you feel comfortable in + like to wear
  • is it really worth lugging around or sacrificing souvenir space?
  • don't bring what you can get there (ie. shampoo etc)
  • bring clothes that are easy to care for





Packing for one week 
(with the assumption of doing laundry every week)

inside carry-on 


BOTTOMS // thrifted black skirt, denim shorts, black jeans
TOPS // Madewell stripe + dot sweaters, denim button-down, black cardigan, thrifted silk striped blouse, poppy color pocket tee
SHOES // Aldo brogues, ASOS leopard flats
BAGS // foldable Cape Cod tote, Coach black leather bag
ETC // light trench coat + scarf, yellow hanker chief, heart pendant necklace
NOT PICTURED // et cetera + incidentals, delicates, jewelry, gifts, mini umbrella, film camera + digital camera


inside the personal item (black handbag)
sketchbook + pens, tech + charge cords, wallet + documents, toiletries, almond snacks

wearing on the plane // trench coat, denim shirt, black pants, brogues



1 week = 3 bottoms + 5 tops = 120 different combinations 
(accepting repetition, wearing 3 things together from 8 choices)

MATH IS FUN



Also,
I love this folding technique, highly recommended!

THIS was also very helpful for me!

And, ladies - I recommend doing this, as well [Lisa Eldridge on long-haul flights]


Happy Travels!




15 comments:

  1. Veronica: Extremely helpful for the most random but amazing things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha this blog is a rattattouie

      Delete
  2. Lovely post:)

    I really enjoy packing less and less each trip too (though partially because that means I can buy more on my trip haha). Anyway, I'll definitely try that folding technique!

    blueeyednightowl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't forget your camera and take lots of photos and keep on blogging from Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A whole month! Cool! I can't wait to do that myself.
    Thanks for this post-packing for an entire month has got to be tough, and this post definitely helps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES! I love packing posts. I find people's mixing and matching their wardrobe.

    A whole month in Japan that is so cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I wanted to say is that I find people's mixing and matching their wardrobe so interesting.

      The internet ate my sentence I suppose.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I do too, I love looking at other people's "capsule collections" :D

      Delete
  6. Thank you for sharing. This will come in handy next year when The Young One will be spending C term in CA

    ReplyDelete
  7. 旅の荷物を考えるのは楽しいよね(^^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. そうだね!考えものか判じ物みたいね

      Delete