April 19, 2013

Dispatches from Japan 第12回 This Mystifying World

Watching the news lately has been just insane, so grateful my family has CNN available in English here.

I mentioned before that the Boston Marathon bombings happened near my parents first home together, where they met, fell in love and had me. I was born at Brigham & Women's hospital, where multiple victims were treated for lost limbs.

Then the craziest part of the story is that the manhunt for the second brother followed from Boston directly in front of my dear friends' house in Watertown. It was frightening here, to see the diner where we always meet, the background to "Swat teams searching houses", "290 shots fired", "suspect hiding in neighborhood"...

I'm thankful for Twitter, was all its glitches, inaccurate crowd sourcing and hopelessly misinformed speculation, was ale to keep me connected to the status of my dear, dead friends.

Friends who were present at my small wedding, who animated our invitations, and opened their home to us, including my other dear friend in Tokyo who loves them as much as I do.

It was insane to be talking to her here in japan, texting updates, then hearing about the explosions in West Texas, praying my aunt wasn't near there (since she lives in Houston and travels quite often)

All in all, an insane week, just unimaginable on so many levels.

Hope you all are well, back stateside this Tuesday.















No comments:

Post a Comment