October 29, 2014

"Agatha and Courtesan au Chocolat" for Bad Dads V at Spoke Art Gallery


I had so much fun creating this piece for Spoke Art's annual Wes Anderson inspired art exhibition.

After some nice email exchanged with my grandfather (who is a film afficionado and sees everything before I do) told me what a gem 'The Grand Budapest Hotel' was, and he was right.  He said "I enjoyed the hyperboles offered" - great line, grampa.

The movie was so beautiful and the story was so well-told, I had to do it.  "Rushmore" is my favorite Wes Anderson movie, but now they are tied...

I had another idea about all the hotel keys representing people but since I only had 2 days in my schedule to paint this, had to scrap it at the last minute for something I could complete faster.

Anyway, I think I'm going to continue this painting-the-frame concept.  Looking at some William Bradley art recently and got inspired.

So here is a painting inspired by both the Irish baker Agatha and the painting from the movie "Boy with Apple" :)

Bad Dads 5 opens Halloween!  
Dress up as your favorite Wes Anderson movie character

Oct. 31 - Nov. 22nd

Spoke Art Gallery
816 Sutter St.
San Fran, CA

and check out this beautiful flyer by the incomparable Nicole Gustaffson!


Also came across this wonderful story about the faux-masterpiece "Boy With Apple" that was created for the film "The Grand Budapest Hotel"

The faux masterpiece in process. 

And a clip I like about the making of the hotel itself:


No comments:

Post a Comment