November 9, 2014

Making a painting: Japanese pop edition

Here are some progress shots from last month.  I tried my best to make sure all the toys and records, hair styles, school uniform and even the candy boxes were available in 1965.

It was super fun!  Going to continue this when I have the chance and make one for the 70s and then one for the 80s!

You can buy this piece - of which proceeds are donated to charity - this weekend at Heroes Complex Gallery in conjunction with Grateful Arts LLC.

Here was my process, which is typical of most of my paintings.

I look at lots of inspirational stuff, making sure i have good reference material.




I do sketches until a good idea hits.  Then I scan it and develop a base image for the under drawing.




I do a colored pencil drawing then choose my palette.






I like to finish tiny details and straight edges with colored pencil or markers that dry matte.  Sometimes markers give a terrible shine that looks fake on the gouache so I have to be careful.  Marvey Le Pens are pretty good.


 The finished painting.

This piece won't be available for long - the pop up show is only open for a weekend!

But you can get limited edition color variant prints from me, here, very soon.  They are at the printers as we speak.

Happy Friday!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I was following the process on Instagram but this is a really good progress post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I really love the composition of this one. Can't wait to see the rest in this series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really great! I love all the little details you put into it, especially all the snacks.
    It's always so interesting seeing the thought process and making of a beautiful project :)

    ReplyDelete